Pat has 28 years of experience as a commercial real estate lawyer, investor, asset manager, finance and dispositions professional and developer. His principal areas of practice are:
- Commercial real estate development and leasing
- Commercial real estate acquisitions, finance and dispositions
- Zoning and land use
- Commercial and corporate finance
Pat brings significant real estate industry legal and business experience to his role at Taft. After starting his career as a commercial real estate lawyer in 1991, Pat moved to Opus U.S. Corporation as Associate General Counsel in 1997. In 1998, he transitioned to Opus Properties, LLC (now known as Founders Properties), as Vice President of Dispositions, Finance and Investments. In that role, he was responsible for leading Opus' Buyer Coverage Program and the disposition and finance activities of the Opus investment funds and other Opus related entities.
In 2004, Duke Realty Corporation hired Pat to run its Minnesota operations as Senior Vice President – Minneapolis | St. Paul Operations. In that role, Pat was responsible for the management, operations and profitability of Duke’s Minnesota portfolio, including all land acquisition, leasing, property management, asset management, construction and development.
During his 10 years at Duke, Pat and his team:
- Acquired approximately 150 acres of land and leased its multi-million square foot portfolio to 97 percent occupancy.
- Built the Wilder Center (the 100,000 square-foot LEED Gold Certified headquarters of the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation).
- Developed approximately one million square feet of industrial buildings.
- Developed Norman Pointe II, a 320,000 square-foot LEED Certified Class “A” office building currently leased to Hartford Insurance Company and the GSA.
- Master planned a blighted 32-acre land parcel known as “The West End,” and developed the first phase of that multiple-phased development, known as the “Shops at West End,” a 380,000 square foot mixed use destination.
A requested guest speaker regarding various commercial real estate topics, Pat also has frequently testified to the Minnesota Legislature on various topics impacting the commercial real estate industry.
Pat returned to his law practice at Briggs and Morgan, P.A. in 2014.
Honoree, Chambers USA: Real Estate Law
Honoree, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law
- Creighton University School of Law (1991)
Juris Doctor, magna cum laude
Alpha Sigma Nu (National Jesuit Honor Society)
- Creighton University (1987)
B.A., cum laude
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Represent the Minnesota Vikings and its owners in the acquisition of the 200-acre former Delta Airlines headquarters campus in Eagan, Minnesota and the entitlement, development and leasing of the “Viking Lakes” multiple phased, mixed-use project that includes the new headquarters and training facility for the Vikings, known as the “Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center,” a build-to-suit medical office building for Twin Cities Orthopedics, a sports medicine center building and the new “Omni Viking Lakes” Hotel. Future phases include multifamily residential, retail and office projects.
- Represent the lead developer in connection with the redevelopment of the 60-acre Upper Harbor Terminal site in North Minneapolis with amphitheater, residential, retail, office and light industrial uses.
- Represented a national developer in connection with the development, leasing, construction and financing (in part with TIF) of a 400,000 square foot industrial build-to-suit in Lino Lakes, Minnesota.
- Represented a national real estate investor and developer in connection with the acquisition and redevelopment of the former Macy’s Department Store in downtown Minneapolis, now known as “The Dayton’s Project.”
- Represented a national real estate investor in connection with the acquisition of the historic Renaissance Square building in downtown Minneapolis.
- Represented the developer of a multifamily residential and retail development, financed in part with TIF, in Edina, Minnesota.
- Represented the co-developer of the Intercontinental Hotel project at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
- Serves as Executive Director of Visus, a joint venture between a national developer and a charitable foundation, to redevelop approximately 15 acres of real estate at the eastern edge of the University of Minnesota campus.
- NAIOP Minnesota
Former Chair, Public Policy, Program and Long Range Planning Committees
- Twin West Chamber of Commerce
Past Member, Board of Directors
- ULI Minnesota
Member, Governance Committee
- Minnesota Real Estate Journal
Member, Advisory Board
- Discover St. Louis Park
Past Member, Board of Directors
- Neighborhood House Association
- Creighton University
Former President, National Alumni Board
Former Member, Board of Directors