Mike is a partner in the litigation practice group. His focus lies in the energy and utility arena and has represented utility clients in a variety of complex disputes from pre-trial motion practice through trials and appeals. Mike’s practice includes stray voltage litigation, power purchase agreement disputes, property damage disputes, right-of-way disputes, and litigation regarding tariff-based rights. With a proven track record, he appreciates the regulatory environment in which his utility clients operate, and caters his litigation strategy and approach to address those regulatory needs.
Additionally, Mike’s practice includes representing a broad range of corporate and individual clients in all manners of business and commercial disputes including matters involving general contract litigation, banking litigation, real estate disputes, mortgage foreclosure, receivership counseling, land use and planning and zoning litigation, judgment enforcement and collections and commercial leasing disputes. In every matter that Mike handles, he works closely with his clients to tailor strategies aimed at achieving their existing and future business goals.
Prior to joining Taft, he worked in the gas field and also as a law clerk for a gas and electric utility company.
- Hamline University School of Law (2008)
magna cum laude
CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (2005)
- State - Minnesota
- State - Wisconsin
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Successfully defended utility in $42 million power purchase agreement pricing dispute involving the cost of natural gas transportation.
- Successfully represented client in multi-party electrical contact claim seeking over $3.8 million in damages.
- Successfully negotiated complex 30-year thermal energy agreement with numerous customers on behalf of unregulated service provider.
- Successfully represented defendant in wrongful death construction site case.
- Successfully opposed and defeated proposed land use through writ of certiorari.
- Successfully represented individuals in wetland use dispute with local government through administrative process and Court of Appeals.
Speeches and Publications
- 2013-11-19, "Ethical Issues on Appeal in a Technological World," Co-Author, For the Defense
- Minnesota Children's Museum
Member, Board of Directors
- Mounds View Basketball Association
Youth Basketball Coach