Mike focuses his practice principally in the areas of general commercial litigation, energy and utility industry litigation, legal malpractice defense, banking litigation, real estate foreclosure, land use and planning and zoning litigation, judgment enforcement and collections and lease disputes.
As part of his litigation practice, Mike has handled a variety of disputes involving business contracts, utility property damage, right-of-way disputes, loan defaults, commercial leases, land use and real estate matters and has successfully represented a broad range of clients in all phases of litigation through appeal and judgment enforcement.
Prior to joining Taft, he worked in the gas field and also as a law clerk for a Fortune 500 gas and electric utility company.
Recipient, "Outstanding Achievement in Labor Law," Minnesota State Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Hamline University School of Law (2008)
magna cum laude
CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (2005)
- State - Minnesota
- State - Wisconsin
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Successfully defend law firms against legal malpractice claims.
- Represented defendant in wrongful death construction site case.
- Successfully opposed and defeated proposed land use through writ of certiorari.
- Successfully represented individuals in wetland use dispute with local government through administrative process and Court of Appeals.
Speeches and Publications
- 2013-11-19, "Ethical Issues on Appeal in a Technological World," Co-Author, For the Defense