Michael has more than 30 years of unique insurance-related experience, having served as both a regulator and corporate insurance senior executive – in a variety of positions, including:
- Administrative law judge.
- Department of insurance staff counsel.
- Special deputy supervisor/rehabilitator/liquidator.
- Board member.
- Chief corporate development officer.
- General Counsel.
- Government relations executive.
- Interim Chief Executive Officer.
His regulatory positions were with the State of Indiana, and his private industry experience was with multi-billion dollar insurance companies.
Michael continues to perform special deputy supervisor/rehabilitator/liquidator responsibilities. He has served as the special deputy in approximately a dozen receiverships. Additionally, he has served as outside counsel of record for the Indiana Department of Insurance on multiple Form A change of control hearings and related due diligence matters.
Michael focuses his practice on reducing risks and identifying areas of opportunity through a pragmatic approach. His areas of specific experience include:
- Board governance.
- Captive insurance matters.
- Contract review and negotiation.
- Insurance coverage issues.
- Litigation avoidance, management and settlement.
- Marketing, sales and market conduct compliance.
- Mergers and acquisitions, including Form A Statement preparation and advising.
- Regulatory compliance.
- Suitability issues and resolutions of annuity and life insurance sales to seniors and non-profits.
A member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Michael is a certified fraud examiner and holds the MCM designation for market conduct examiners through the Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society. He is a member of the International Association of Insurance Receivers, the Indiana Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. The Indianapolis Business Journal recognized Michael in its "Who’s Who in Insurance” edition. Michael is also a recipient of the Sagamore of the Wabash Award for distinguished service to the State of Indiana. He received his bachelor's and law degree from Indiana University.
Michael also serves as the CEO and managing director of Ingardus, a wholly-owned, non-legal subsidiary of Taft. Ingardus specializes in insurance advisory and forensic accounting services through a team of professionals including Certified Public Accountants. Ingardus primarily serves regulators, private equity clients, insurers, non-profit entities and private parties.
Honoree, Sagamore of the Wabash Award, State of Indiana
Honoree, "Who’s Who in Insurance,” Indianapolis Business Journal
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- MCM, Insurance Regulatory Examiners
- State - Indiana
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- American Bar Association
- Indiana Bar Association
- International Association of Insurance Receivers