Maura assists clients in navigating state and government regulations as a government services coordinator in Taft’s Chicago office, and her experience is heavily focused on certifications of minority, woman and other types of disadvantaged (M/W/DBE) businesses. She manages the entire spectrum of government contracting issues at every stage of the procurement process. Maura regularly assesses a client’s M/W/DBE certification eligibility and advises on which governmental or private certifications are suitable. She then guides clients through all stages of the certification process, from proper structuring of the company, through the application process and then after successfully achieving M/W/DBE certification she assists with the renewal process. Maura also acts on behalf of the City of Chicago as compliance monitor, ensuring appropriate compliance for companies doing business with the City of Chicago. Maura regularly conducts training for companies who are M/W/DBE and want to ensure compliance with their certification requirements as well as for large, non-disadvantaged firms who want to ensure bid compliance with the M/W/DBE requirements.
- Conducts supplier diversity training seminars regarding M/W/DBE compliance for several government contractors.
- Acts as an outside M/W/DBE compliance monitor for the City of Chicago for various companies.
- Assists in the preparation of appeals for clients when their M/W/DBE certifications are challenged or audited including appeals to the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Prepares M/W/DBE applications for companies and successfully guides them in obtaining and maintaining their M/W/DBE certification.
- Assists small businesses with City of Chicago contracts to ensure that the clients remain compliant with all contract requirements.
- Conducts reviews of a company documentation in response to subpoenas.
- Maintains corporate books and required documentation for a wide variety of small businesses located in several states.
- Handles the renewal process for M/W/DBE certifications for more than 100 small businesses.