Matthew P. Metzger
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- T (317) 713-3528
- F (317) 713-3699
Matt is an associate in Taft's Intellectual Property (IP) practice group with a focus on patent prosecution and litigation. With a bachelor’s degree in Nuclear Engineering from Purdue University and professional experience working as an engineer for the Department of Defense on nuclear submarines, Matt brings a wealth of knowledge to Taft. While working for the Department of Defense, Matt was selected for the NAVSEA Next Generation Leadership Development Program where he completed Harvard Business courses and was mentored by Admirals and a cadre of senior executives.
Matt earned his MBA from the University of New Hampshire with a specialization in Finance and is a co-owner of a small business—a real estate investment company.
Matt earned a juris doctor, summa cum laude, from Indiana University with a graduate certificate in Appellate Advocacy. He served as a judicial extern for Indiana Supreme Court Chief Justice Loretta Rush in 2019 and worked as a law clerk at Taft in the firm's IP group from 2018-2021. While attending law school, Matt obtained the Professor Dr. Leonidas N. Georgakopoulos Fellowship and was a quarter finalist in the Robert H. Staton Moot Court Competition. He was also president of the Business Law Association, and served as an associate editor of the Indiana Law Review.
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (2021)
- University of New Hampshire (2018)
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Purdue University (2012)
Bachelor of Science, Nuclear Engineering
- State - Indiana
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- Federal - United States Patent and Trademark Office
Speeches and Publications
- Co-presenter, "Intellectual Property Overview," Dec. 14, 2022.
- Co-author, "Personal liability for intellectual property infringement," The Indiana Lawyer, Dec. 7, 2022.
- Co-author, "Putting a price tag on intellectual property," The Indiana Lawyer, March 30, 2022.
Metzger and Shuster Presented on Intellectual Property to Engineering Group
Polak and Metzger Article on Personal Liability for IP Infringement Published in The Indiana Lawyer
Hiler and Metzger Published in The Indiana Lawyer
Taft Indianapolis Adds Four Associate Attorneys
- ABA Free Legal Answers
Pro Bono Volunteer
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Sagamore American Inn of Court
- The Penrod Society
Legal Committee Co-Chair
Evening With Penrod Committee