Kathy advances and implements the business development and marketing efforts for hundreds of attorneys in multiple practice groups, across the firm’s 11 Midwest offices. She also manages the public relations and marketing communications efforts of Taft’s Cleveland office, a group of more than 65 attorneys.
Through a highly collaborative approach, Kathy’s responsibilities include:
- Managing activities related to developing new business, including researching and writing pitch materials to help attorneys win new clients and create revenue; determining suitable sponsorships for the Cleveland office and multiple practice groups firm wide; and handling public relations efforts and external media relationships.
- Transforming complex legal issues into relatable pitch materials and seminar presentations that influence prospects and secure new business.
- Strategizing with attorneys to create personal business plans to advance their individual practices.
A member of Taft since 2008, Kathy brings decades of relationship-oriented professional services industry knowledge, as well as “the mindset of the client” to the new business proposals and presentations she creates.
- She previously served as vice president of marketing for a prominent commercial bank in Cleveland.
- She was recruited to serve as vice president of a new retail bank in Florida.
- Kathy has a technology industry background gained from a lead marketing position with a Big Four accounting firm which introduced the concept of mass customization and supply chain optimization services.
- She also served as the marketing and creative director at an international Fortune 500 logistics company, and worked closely with sales teams and analysts to successfully launch the company’s routing, transportation, and technology services enterprise.
In addition to her practice group responsibilities, Kathy manages the marketing efforts of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Working closely with the Chief Diversity Officer and the 35 committee members, she assisted with the firm wide implicit bias training program and oversees the firm’s participation in regional and national diverse associations. She also was instrumental in the development of the firm's first publication on the subject, the Diversity and Gender Advocate. Taft was inducted to the Greater Cleveland Partnership's Hall of Fame three consecutive years for achievements in law firm diversity. The firm also achieved Mansfield Rule Certification Plus by Diversity Lab.
She earned a B.F.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Akron. She is an active member of the Greater Cleveland Partnership and the Lorain County Manufacturing Council.
- The University of Akron
B.F.A., magna cum laude
Speeches and Publications
Taft Podcast, Never Let Go – Embrace Your Prospects and Clients to Develop Business, a dialogue with partner Ronald Holman.
Taft Internal Training Presentation: “Marketing Tips for First-Year Associates.”
- Greater Cleveland Partnership
- Lorain County Manufacturing Council
- Sheffield/Sheffield Lake School System
Founder, Frances Dougherty Wilhelm Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Women’s Leadership Council of Greater Cleveland