Kathy manages the business development and marketing efforts of Taft’s Cleveland office, a group of 60 attorneys. She also advances and implements the business development and marketing efforts for hundreds of attorneys in multiple practice groups across the firm’s 11 offices.
In addition to her practice group responsibilities, Kathy is a member of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Working closely with the Chief Diversity Officer and the 24 committee members, she assisted with the firm wide implicit bias training program and oversees the firm’s participation in regional and national diverse associations. She also was instrumental in the development of the firm's first magazine on the subject, the Diversity and Gender Advocate.
Through a highly collaborative approach, Kathy’s responsibilities include:
- Managing activities related to developing new business, including creating client and prospect pitch materials, determining suitable sponsorships, and managing public relations, media contacts, and budgets for practice groups.
- Writing and developing customized responses to RFPs for all of her practice groups to win business.
- Transforming complex legal issues into relatable pitch materials and seminar presentations that impress prospects and secure new business.
- Strategizing with attorneys to create personal business plans to advance their practices.
A member of Taft since 2008, Kathy brings decades of relationship-oriented professional services industry knowledge, as well as “the mindset of the client” to the new business proposals and presentations she creates. She previously served as vice president of marketing in the commercial and retail banking industry. Kathy has a technology background gained from a lead marketing position with a Big Four accounting firm which introduced the concept of mass customization and supply chain optimization services. She also served as the marketing and creative director at an international Fortune 500 logistics company, and worked closely with sales teams and analysts to successfully launch the company’s routing, transportation, and technology services enterprise.
She earned a B.F.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Akron. She is an active member of the Greater Cleveland Partnership and the Lorain County Manufacturing Council.
- The University of Akron
B.F.A., magna cum laude
Speeches and Publications
Internal Training Presentation: "Marketing Tips for First-Year Associates"
- Greater Cleveland Partnership
- Lorain County Manufacturing Council
- Sheffield/Sheffield Lake School System
Founder, Frances Dougherty Wilhelm Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Women’s Leadership Council of Greater Cleveland