Jonathan serves as the chair of Taft's Investment Funds Group where he focuses his practice on representing private equity, venture capital, real estate, and hedge fund sponsors and managers in connection with the formation and operation of investment funds and in the acquisition and disposition of their respective portfolio companies, properties, and other investments. In addition, Jonathan also advises investors in connection with prospective investments in investment funds, investment advisers with respect to compliance with the U.S. Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and other corporate clients with respect to compliance with U.S. federal and state securities and blue sky laws in connection with the offering and sale of securities.
Before joining Taft, Jonathan was an attorney in the Chicago office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Before entering private practice with Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Jonathan served as a law clerk for then-Chief Justice Randall T. Shepard on the Indiana Supreme Court. Jonathan graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from American University in 2008 with a B.S. and B.A. in Economics and Political Science. He graduated magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, and Order of the Barristers from Indiana University Maurer School of Law-Bloomington in 2011. During law school, Jonathan served as a notes and comments editor of the Indiana Law Journal and Executive Problem Editor of the Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition Board. He was also champion of the 2009-2010 Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition.
Jonathan is recognized as one of the "Ones to Watch" by Best Lawyers in America® for securities/capital markets law and venture capital law.
Honoree, Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America® (2021)
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law - Bloomington (2011)
- American University (2008)
- State - Indiana
- State - Illinois
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- Representation of sponsor in formation of $1.2 billion buyout fund
- Representation of sponsor in formation of $1.1 billion secondary and primary buyout fund
- Representation of sponsor in formation of $700 million energy services fund
- Representation of sponsor in formation of $500 million distressed debt fund
- Representation of sponsor in single-close formation of $350 million buyout fund
- Representation of sponsor in formation of $300 million buyout fund
- Representation of the Board of the Next Level Indiana Trust Fund in connection with $250 million investment in the Indiana Next Level Fund fund-of-funds
- Representation of management company in spinout from legacy private equity firm
Speeches and Publications
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Indianapolis Sailing Club