Jeff is a litigator who has tried complex business, partnership, construction, employment, and securities cases in federal and state courts and arbitration and mediation throughout the United States. He counsels clients on these matters, plus the civil side of regulatory and criminal investigations and “business divorces.”
His long and varied experience with industries such as manufacturing, construction, real estate development, advertising, and financial services, both domestic and international, enables him quickly to understand the client’s business in order to identify and minimize the many risks faced by entrepreneurs in today’s challenging legal and regulatory environment.
Jeff counsels that while a very high percentage of commercial disputes settle, through either unsupervised or structured (in other words, mediated) negotiations, the best outcomes are achieved by the party best prepared for litigation. Helping his clients understand their options and working with them toward the best, most efficient resolution in or out of court is his highest priority.
Most of Jeff’s clients are entrepreneurs whose representation requires a clear understanding of each and every one of what are frequently unique businesses in order to best understand their challenges, both immediate and future. Jeff provides forward-thinking advice and long-term education to help his clients succeed. Several clients have been with the firm for more than 50 years. It is dedication to impeccable service and personalized attention that give relationships such as these longevity.
- Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers (2007-present)
- Honoree, DBusiness Top Lawyer (2014-present)
- Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2005-present)
- Honoree, Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” (2019)
All Service Areas
- University of Michigan Law School
Order of the Coif
Associate Editor of the Michigan Law Review
- University of Michigan
- State - Michigan
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal - Western District of Michigan
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - Western District of Tennessee
- Successfully mediated a multimillion-dollar construction/design dispute involving a major university.
- Successfully tried cases in or obtained summary dispositions in the business courts of Oakland and Wayne counties and summary judgments in federal courts.
- Served on the inaugural Case Evaluation panels of the business courts in both Oakland and Wayne counties.
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
Member, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- TAGLaw (International Alliance of Independent Law Firms)
- American Arbitration Association