Jack represents public and privately held corporations, various units of local government and individuals in a wide array of complex litigation matters in federal and state court. Jack focuses his practice in complex civil litigation including class actions, commercial disputes and claims for injunctive and declaratory relief. Jack has substantial experience in complex matters in state and federal courts across the country.
For more than ten years, Jack has been awarded an “AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5” from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating, its highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards. Since 2009, Jack has been named to the "Irish Legal 100," which recognizes the top 100 Irish American lawyers in the country. This distinguished list is determined annually through a vetting and nominating process conducted by the Irish Voice in New York. Jack was joined by a select group of other honorees including Chief Justice John Roberts, former U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald, and former Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. Jack has also been named one of the top commercial litigators in Illinois by Chicago Lawyer, and has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in Illinois. Jack was also named a Leading Criminal Defense Lawyer by Chicago Lawyer magazine in 2012 and 2013. Jack is also a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation in Illinois, a peer rated group which ranks lawyers in Illinois among the top 5%. Jack has also been selected as one of ALM’s 2014 Top Rated Lawyers in Insurance Law.
Jack has served and continues to serve as treasurer for a number of political committees for candidates and elected public officials in Cook County. Jack is also co-host of “The Hagerty Family Irish Hour,” the longest running ethnic radio program in the country, which has been on the air since 1951.
Jack received his B.S. in Accounting from St. Mary's College and is a Certified Public Accountant. He earned his J.D., with high honors from the Chicago Kent College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif.
Listed in Leading Lawyers
AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
Honoree, "Irish Legal 100" by Irish Voice
Honoree, Illinois Super Lawyer
Honoree, ALM's 2014 Top Rated Lawyers (Insurance Law)
All Service Areas
- Women, Minority and Veteran-Owned Businesses
- Estates, Trusts and Fiduciary Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Campaign and Election Law
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- Class Action, Derivative and Multi-Party Litigation
- ERISA Litigation
- Corporate Compliance and White Collar Criminal Defense
- Government Contracts
- Education - Litigation
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law (1990)
- St. Mary's College (B.S., Accounting) (1981)
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- State - Illinois
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- Federal - Central District of Illinois
- Represented Chicago Board of Education in a punitive class action lawsuit alleging race discrimination in connection with the Chicago Board’s decision to “turnaround” ten schools effective June 2012. Plaintiffs' Motion for Class Certification was denied on May 27, 2014. (Chicago Teachers Union et al. v. Chicago Board of Education, 12 cv 10311 (N.D. Ill.).)
- Counsel for Chicago Public Schools (CPS), in a Desegregation Consent Decree case originally filed in 1980. Served as lead counsel when the Court ultimately determined after a multi-day proceeding that the Consent Decree should be vacated, returning control of the school district to CPS after almost 30 years of supervision by the Department of Justice.
- Successfully prosecuted an election challenge in an aldermanic race in the city of Chicago, which resulted in the Illinois Supreme Court declaring that convicted felons were not eligible to run for office in municipal elections.
- Counsel for the plaintiff in a trade secrets action in Arkansas that resulted in an agreed permanent injunction after the conclusion of the plaintiff’s case at the hearing for preliminary injunction.
- Counsel for the City of Chicago in a constitutional challenge to the City’s M/WBE Ordinance in Construction, the trial of which resulted in one of the first victories ever for a municipality in such a case.
- Counsel to the court-appointed receiver in a nationwide class action involving American Airlines.
- Counsel to the Special Master for the Waste Management federal securities class action litigation in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Counsel to a variety of governmental entities with regard to constitutional challenges to preferential procurement programs for minority-and women-owned businesses.
- Counsel to insurers in a wide range of complex coverage disputes in state and federal courts across the country.
- Counsel in matters before the Seventh Circuit, the Chicago Board of Elections and the Judicial Inquiry Board.
Significant Appellate Decisions
- Delgado, et al. v. The Board of Election Commissioners of the City of Chicago, 224 Ill.2d 481 (Ill. 2007).
- Paul H. Schewndener, Inc. v. Larrabel Commons Partners, 338 Ill. App. 3d 19 (1st Dist. 2003).
- Butler v. Kent, 275 Ill. App.3d 217 (1st Dist. 1995).
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Member
- Chicago Bar Association Member
- Irish Legal 100 Member
- Chicago Blackhawk Alumni Association Member
- Irish Fellowship Club Member of the Board of Directors