Garrett has significant experience in public private partnerships, infrastructure and project finance. He joined Taft’s Chicago office after working both at a large firm and as a general counsel. As a GC, Garrett had responsibility for several operating companies that worked with some of the most prominent infrastructure investors and/or operators. Over the past 10 years, he has worked with global entities such as Macquarie, Cintra, Ferrovial and IFM Investors.
- Significant experience interpreting leases for the maximum benefit of the concessionaire. Drove process to expand Indiana Toll Road lease, with seven amendments and an ultimately amended and restated lease.
- Responsible for ensuring contract compliance for operating standards, financial and technical reporting, and regulatory requirements.
- Experienced with testifying in front of the Illinois and Indiana Congressional Transportation Committees.
- Provided assistance with disclosure statements and in annual audits.
- Understanding of project modeling, having proactively worked with various traffic analysts to understand the inputs and variables that are part of a model.
- Extensive experience as member of bid and finance teams for parent companies, including bond issuances, note purchases, PABs, and TIFIA financing.
- Successfully led company through Chapter 11 restructuring process involving a sale of ITRCC ($5.7B). During process, directly managed and was responsible for a team of over 100 legal, technical, and financial advisors.
- Drafted and negotiated numerous complex contracts (e.g., a $250 million design build contract, a $180 million cross-border IT contract, and a wide variety of other material contracts).
- Represented various companies in legal disputes and selected & supervised outside counsel.
- Significant general construction experience as both contractor and owner, drafting, negotiating, and resolving disputes of material construction contracts.
- Risk and compliance experience, including active maintenance of risk register and monthly compliance self-certification.
- Significant experience with commercial and legal issues related to property and real estate matters, including being responsible for Right of Way acquisition and a variety of property issues.
All Service Areas
- University of Michigan Law School (2003)
- University of Chicago Divinity School (1999)
- University of San Francisco, B.A. (1996)
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- State - Illinois
- State - Indiana
- Illinois State Bar Association Member
- Indiana Bar Association Member
- American Bar Association Member
- International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association Member
- Black Star Project Member
- Catholic Charities Member