Betty’s practice is focused primarily on representing clients in all aspects of employment law, including defense of employers against claims of discrimination or of violation of other local, state and federal employment laws. In addition, she advises employers regarding all aspects of managing employees. Betty practices higher education law, including advice to and defense of public and private colleges and universities. Betty also advises and represents local governments and landowners in negotiations and litigation regarding annexation and annexation related matters. She has also litigated cases involving zoning regulations.
Betty has the distinction of being board certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as a specialist in the practice of labor and employment law. She has also been recognized by her peers for excellence in labor and employment law and land use and zoning law in Best Lawyers in America. Betty has been named as one of the “Top 25 Columbus Women Lawyers” by Ohio Super Lawyers in 2012 and 2017 for Employment Litigation Defense.
Honoree, Employment Law – Management; Litigation – Labor and Employment; Litigation – Land Use and Zoning - Best Lawyers in America (2005-present); Land Use and Zoning “Lawyer of the Year” in 2015
Honoree, Employment Litigation - Defense, Employment and Labor, Land Use and Zoning - Ohio Super Lawyers (2004-2013, 2015-2018)
Honoree, "Top 25 Women Ohio Super Lawyers" (2012, 2017)
AV Peer Review (Preeminent) Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
All Service Areas
- University of Houston Law Center (1979)
- Drexel University, B.S. in Business Administration (1969)
- Federal - Southern District of Texas
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- State - Ohio
- State - Texas
Over thirty years experience advising and representing clients in the areas of employment, labor, college and university, and local government law, including the following:
Advised and represented clients in the public and private sector with regard to employment and labor matters, including:
- Defense of employers in many forums, including state and federal trial and appellate courts and administrative agencies.
- Representation in mediations, assisting clients to resolve cases in a beneficial and cost effective manner.
- Advice to employers regarding all aspects of managing employees.
- Advice to Executives regarding Executive Employment Agreements and Severance Agreements.
- Legal planning and policy analysis and formulation, including preparation of employee handbooks.
- Conducting of workplace investigations.
- Conducting of workplace training including executives.
- Preparation of agreements, including Employment Agreements, Confidentiality and Non-Compete Agreements, Compensation Agreements, and Severance Agreements.
Advised and represented Public and Private Colleges and Universities with regard to higher education matters, including:
- Advice with regard to employment, labor, faculty, student, police jurisdiction, and constitutional issues.
- Defense of colleges and universities regarding these issues before administrative agencies and state and federal trial and appellate courts.
Advised and represented local governments and landowners, including:
- Negotiations and litigation including hearings before Boards of County Commissioners, and appeal and injunction actions before Courts of Common Pleas, Courts of Appeal, and the Ohio Supreme Court in annexation and annexation related matters such as operations and services of cities, townships, and counties, zoning, planning, land use, taxation, tax abatement, finances, utility services, and safety services.
- Advice related to formation of Joint Economic Development District and Annexation Agreements.
- Representation of organization of builders and large residential builders in major litigation challenging the constitutionality of local government ordinances relating to development.
- Representation of major outdoor advertising company and others with regard to billboard regulation.
Speeches and Publications
- Conway Business Center HR Peer Group - From Recruitment to Hiring to Firing (2017)
- Columbus Bar Association (Member; Former Chair, Labor and Employment Law Committee)
- Ohio Management Lawyers Association (Member)
- Ohio State Bar Association (Member; Former Vice-Chair, Task Force; Chair of the State and Local Government Committee; Education and Construction Law)
- Ohio Women's Bar Association (Founding Member and Former Board Member)
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County (Member; Former Board Member and Past Treasurer)
- United Way of Central Ohio - Women's Leadership Council (Founding Member; Member of Initiative Committee)