Douglas has extensive experience representing employers nationwide in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) cases. This includes hearings before the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission and Mine Safety and Health Administration. He also handles labor and employment matters including wrongful death defense, defense of employers in multi-employer worksite accidents and fatalities, workers compensation matters, violation of a specific safety requirement (VSSR) actions, intentional tort actions and construction litigation.
Douglas is a specialist on OSHA, workplace safety and liability matters. He has lectured and written about OSHA matters for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, The Ohio State University, Marshall University, the American Society of Safety Engineers, the Ohio Division of Safety and Hygiene, the Builders Exchange of Central Ohio, the Ohio State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Institute, the Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce, the National Business Institute, The County Engineers Association of Ohio, The American Gas Association, Ohio Rural Electric Cooperative and numerous trade associations and safety councils. In 2001, he represented the Builders Exchange of Central Ohio in contract negotiations with the United States Department of Labor, resulting in the OSHA/Builders Exchange Partnership Agreement.
Over the past few decades, Douglas has handled several major OSHA-related cases. In 1992, he defended the first Ohio company charged with criminal willful OSHA violations by the U.S. Justice Department following a workplace fatality. In addition, he has been involved in at least 100 wrongful-death and significant-injury cases and more than 300 OSHA cases, including numerous OSHA cases with penalties of nearly $400,000.
- In 2015, Douglas represented MAHLE Engine Components USA, Inc. in MAHLE’s challenge to OSHA’s enforcement of the OSHA lead standard for general industry. Following a trial where Douglas cross-examined OSHA’s Chief Medical Officer and Director of the Office of Occupational Medicine, the Occupational Safety & Health Review Commission in a 29 page Decision dismissed $84,000 in OSHA penalties issued to MAHLE and vacated every lead citation issued to MAHLE in OSHA Inspection No. 687758. Secretary of Labor v. MAHLE Engine Components USA, Inc., OSHRC Docket No. 13- 0490. Douglas was successful in getting the United States Department of Labor Directorate of Enforcement Programs and OSHA’s Region V Administrator to remove MAHLE from OSHA’s Severe Violator List.
- In 2014, Douglas successfully resolved Secretary of Labor v. MAHLE Engine Components USA, Inc., OSHRC Docket #13-0489, with OSHA forced to vacate all electrical safety citations issued to MAHLE’s McConnelsville, Ohio facility a week before the scheduled trial (which OSHA previously refused to do at a mandatory OSHA Settlement Conference), with a reduction in proposed OSHA penalties over $140,000.
- In 2015-2016, Douglas successfully litigated and resolved $230,000 in OSHA penalties and citations issued to Industrial Container Services by Washington OSHA, resulting in the vacating and reclassification of numerous citations and a $180,000 reduction in proposed OSHA penalties, In re: Industrial Container Services WA LLC, Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals, State of Washington, Docket No. 15 W0115.
The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law Management, Labor Law Management (2013-2021)
The National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 (2011)
Ohio Super Lawyers (2010-2019), Top 5 (2017), Top 100 (2015-2017, 2019), Top 50 Columbus (2015-2021)
Columbus CEO Magazine, Top Attorneys in Columbus, Ohio (2009-2016)
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Lifetime Member (2004-2007)
Columbus Business First, Top Attorneys in Central Ohio (2004-2005)
Honoree, Who's Who in American Law
AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Capital University Law School (1988)
Law Review, Articles Editor
Order of the Curia National Honorary Law Fraternity
Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
Who's Who Among American Law Students (1987)
- West Liberty State College (1985)
B.S., Business, with honors
School of Business, Management Student of the Year
Student Judiciary, President
- State - Ohio
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- American Bar Association
Occupational Safety & Health Law Committee
- Society of Ohio Safety Engineers
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- National Safety Council
- Builders Exchange of Central Ohio Safety Advisory Council