Chris is a partner in Taft's Corporate Compliance and White Collar Criminal Defense practice. He focuses his practice on defending corporations and individuals mired in government investigations, as well as conducting internal investigations and compliance reviews in an effort to stave off government involvement.
He represents public and private companies and individuals across a wide range of industries in anti-money laundering compliance, fraud investigations, healthcare compliance, online gaming regulation, and other complex investigatory and litigation matters. He has handled multiple cases and investigations brought by various government regulatory agencies, including the SEC, FTC, FINRA, and the CFTC. Chris has also conducted over a dozen trials in federal court and argued eight cases before the Seventh Circuit.
Chris has garnered a strong reputation in:
- Trying cases to verdict before a jury.
- Conducting fraud investigations, including Medicare/Medicaid fraud and anti-money laundering law violations.
- Leading investigations for both international and domestic publicly and privately held companies.
- Investigating multi-million dollar investment fraud cases.
- Prosecuting public corruption, healthcare, securities and tax, terrorism, exploitation, narcotics and gun trafficking criminal cases.
Bringing more than 15 years of experience in the legal industry to Taft, Chris was previously a partner at an AmLaw 100 firm. He has also served as a federal prosecutor in the United States Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Illinois.
A graduate of Harvard Law School and the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business, summa cum laude, Chris served as a law clerk for the Honorable Ann Claire Williams of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and the Honorable Algenon Marbley of the United States District Court of the Southern District of Ohio. He has also served as an adjunct professor at the DePaul University College of Law, where he taught legal writing to law students and Chicago police officers.
Emerging Lawyer, Leading Lawyers (2019)
National Prosecutor of the Year, United States Postal Service (2014)
Honoree, Chicago Crimestoppers (2013)
All Service Areas
- Harvard Law School (2006)
Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy member
- Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania (2003)
- State - Illinois
- State - California
- Federal - U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Federal - Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Federal - Western District of Wisconsin
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Represented a high-profile government official in federal criminal proceedings.
- Secured a seven-figure jury verdict for client who was defrauded by former legal counsel.
- Served as lead appellate counsel for notable Chicago attorney accused of ethics violations and contempt of court.
- Secured favorable result in Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) investigation for securities broker accused of 10b-5 violations of the Securities Act.
- Represented major U.S. bank in SEC investigation regarding client’s alleged failure to properly write down nine figures worth of loans.
- Won defense verdict after week-long jury trial for client charged with federal crime and facing a mandatory 15-year jail term if convicted.
- Won motion to suppress on behalf of owner of home health care agency charged with violating federal anti-kickback statutes.
- Conducted a major internal investigation for a publicly-held bank accused of violating various U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission regulations.
- Defended a Chinese company accused of violating the Economic Espionage Act.
- Led defense team for a podiatrist/podiatric company which faced $70 million in Medicare fraud claims related to the creation and use of an electronic medical records system.
- Obtained probation for physician accused of $3 million in Medicare and insurance billing fraud.
- Represented a notorious Midwest organized crime group member on extortion charges related to debt collection extortionate and threats of violence.
- Acted as counsel for a Bulgarian national charged with conducting money laundering and credit card fraud.
- Provided defense for an international union in a federal civil suit related to "secondary boycotting."
- Represented a school superintendent in termination proceedings for her employment contract.
Speeches and Publications
- Speaker, "The False Claims Act Under the Trump Administration," Illinois Healthcare Association Convention and Expo (Sept. 2019)
- Speaker, "Responding to Government Investigations in the Long Term Care Space," Illinois Nursing Home Administrators Association (Feb. 2018)
- Speaker, "Responding to Government Investigations," Midwest Corporate Counsel Forum (Nov. 2017)
- "When the U.S. Knocks on Your Door," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (Sept. 2016)
- Moderator, Fantasy Sports and the Law session, DePaul Law Review Symposium (March 2016)
- "Reconsidering Regulation: A Historical View of the Legality of Internet Poker and Discussion of the Internet Gambling 'Ban' of 2006," Journal of Legal Technology Risk Management (2007)
- American Bar Association
Young Lawyers Division member
Criminal Justice Committee vice-chair
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Harvard Law Society of Illinois
- DePaul University Law School
Adjunct professor (2015-2018)