Christine focuses her practice on employment matters. She has experience representing employers in federal and state courts, administrative agencies, and private employment arbitrations in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, California, Alaska, North Carolina, Delaware, Tennessee, Hawaii, New York, Texas, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Puerto Rico in employment discrimination claims of all types, including Title VII, FMLA, ADAA, ADEA, and FLSA, as well as whistleblower actions and ERISA litigation. She has significant experience providing employment counseling to private employers across a range of industries regarding all aspects of the employment relationship, including equal opportunity practices and policies, employee discipline and termination, employee investigations and complaints, wage and hour issues, best employment practices, reductions in force and WARN Act issues, workplace violence, employment contracts, and non-compete and trade secret issues. Christine has also conducted employment investigations, successfully handled settlement negotiations and mediation, and drafted and implemented employment policies of all types.
Christine received her J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law, where she was an associate editor of the Northwestern Law Review, and her undergraduate degree from Duke University.
Prior to joining Taft, Christine served as Executive Director - Senior Legal Counsel for AT&T, one of the world's largest telecommunications companies, and was an associate in the Labor & Employment Group of McGuireWoods LLP’s Chicago office.
- Northwestern University School of Law (2005)
- Duke University (2002)
- State - Ohio
- State - Illinois
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- Federal - Central District of Illinois
- Federal - Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- Prepared and effectuated conciliation agreements with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and state agencies.
- Oversaw internal investigations relating to allegations of harassment, discrimination and retaliation, including the successful implementation of policies and discipline as warranted.
- Torain v. Ameritech Advanced Data Servs. of Illinois, Inc., 319 Fed. Appx. 433 (7th Cir., March 31, 2009). Successfully briefed argument resulting in dismissal with prejudice of plaintiff's discrimination and retaliation claims pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §1915(eX2)(A) for omissions on in forma pauperis application. Drafted appeal brief and Respondent's Brief in Opposition to Petition for Writ of Certiorari filed with the U.S. Supreme Court. The Seventh Circuit affirmed the District Court's decision and the Supreme Court denied the writ of certiorari.
- Gonzalez v. First Midwest Bank (Lake Superior Court, State of Indiana). Successfully defended against claims of malicious prosecution and obtained summary judgment for employer.
- Bricks Inc. v. Manhard Consulting, Ltd (Cook County Court, State of Illinois). Obtained summary judgment on four of seven claims and summary determination on the issue of damages in breach of contract and negligence case against civil engineer. Received favorable settlement following motion for summary determination to limit damages. Responsibilities included drafting summary judgment briefs, taking depositions, responding to discovery, overseeing junior associates and paralegals, preparing all aspects of case for trial, and preparing cross and direct examinations for over twenty witnesses.
- Represented employees and their newly-formed logistics company in breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation claims in Illinois State Court.
- Represented global staffing company in a number of cases alleging discrimination, harassment and retaliation and provided advice and counsel regarding all aspects of the employment relationship, including joint-employment and co-employment issues.
- Defended large telecommunications company in case alleging sexual harassment, gender discrimination, retaliation, FMLA discrimination, and various state law claims. Responsibilities included drafting pleadings and briefs, arguing motion to compel, taking depositions, responding to written discovery, participating in settlement negotiations, and drafting mediation statement. Favorable settlement reached following private mediation.
- Defended large telecommunications company in race discrimination claim before the Illinois Human Rights Commission. Responsible for the entirety of the case, from conducting witness interviews through drafting successful summary decision brief.
- Defended large telecommunications company against race discrimination and race harassment claims brought by four contractors. Responsibilities included crafting case strategy, conducting witness interviews, drafting all pleadings and drafting mediation statement.
- Represented large biotechnology company in a number of private employment arbitration matters involving employment discrimination claims of all types and whistleblower actions.
- Represented sugar manufacturer and processor in a number of charges before the Gary Human Relations Commission and EEOC.
- Represented natural gas company in several labor arbitrations alleging unfair labor practices and breach of collective bargaining agreement and conducted attendant traditional labor research and analysis.
- Represented nation-wide trucking company in a number of employment matters involving employment discrimination claims of all types and FLSA misclassification claims.
- Represented large food processing company in claim brought under ERISA that company improperly denied disability benefits under applicable plan.
- American Bar Association
- Kindervelt 50
Member (2018 - present)
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Chicago
Past Member, Guild Board (2013 - 2016)
Past Secretary, Executive Board (2015 - 2016)
- Chicago Pro Bono Council
Past Member (2015 - 2016)