Brett advises clients in a variety of industries, and focuses his practice principally upon:
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Commercial contracts.
- Data security and privacy law.
- Information technology and software licensing.
- Corporate governance.
- Start-up entity formation and emerging growth financing.
Brett earned his J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law, where he served as the development editor of the Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property. During law school, Brett clerked at the Legal Council for Health Justice, as well as the Office of General Counsel for the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
Prior to law school, Brett worked as a project manager and team lead at Epic Systems, where he managed the implementation of Epic’s electronic medical record system at multiple enterprise client sites across the United States.
All Service Areas
- Northwestern University School of Law (2016)
- University of Wisconsin – Madison (2010)
- State - Minnesota
Brett’s recent experience includes assisting with the representation of:
- A large insurance company in its sale of a standalone business unit.
- A manufacturing technology company in its acquisition of a project management firm.
- A private equity firm in connection with its bolt-on acquisition of a portfolio company’s competitor.
- A large commercial real estate company in connection with its sale of a brokerage subsidiary.
- An industrial engineering firm in its sale to an international engineering conglomerate.
- A FinTech software development company’s negotiation of numerous client contracts and software licenses.
- A software-as-a-service vendor in connection with its recapitalization and growth financing projects.
- An emerging financial services company’s entity formation and the drafting of its operational agreements.
- An emerging medical technology company in connection with negotiating its co-working and collaborative research agreements.