Brett advises clients in a variety of industries, and focuses his practice principally upon:
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Commercial contracts.
- Data security and privacy law.
- Information technology and software licensing.
- Corporate governance.
- Start-up entity formation and emerging growth financing.
Brett earned his J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law, where he served as the development editor of the Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property. During law school, Brett clerked at the Legal Council for Health Justice, as well as the Office of General Counsel for the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
Prior to law school, Brett worked as a project manager and team lead at Epic Systems, where he managed the implementation of Epic’s electronic medical record system at multiple enterprise client sites across the United States.
All Service Areas
- Northwestern University School of Law (2016)
- University of Wisconsin – Madison (2010)
- State - Minnesota
Brett provides outside general counsel services to a number of emerging growth companies in the medical technology and financial services sector. He is pursuing a CIPP/US certification through the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Brett’s recent experience includes assisting with the representation of:
- A large insurance company in its sale of a standalone business unit.
- A manufacturing technology company in its acquisition of a project management firm.
- A private equity firm in connection with its bolt-on acquisition of a portfolio company’s competitor.
- A large commercial real estate company in connection with its sale of a brokerage subsidiary.
- An industrial engineering firm in its sale to an international engineering conglomerate.
- A FinTech software development company’s negotiation of numerous client contracts and software licenses.
- A software-as-a-service vendor in connection with its recapitalization and growth financing projects.
- An emerging financial services company’s entity formation and the drafting of its operational agreements.
- A mobile app developer in their creation and implementation of privacy and data security policies.
- An industrial supplier to oil & gas with the sale of its consulting services vertical.
- An investment holding company in its sale of a manufacturing firm to a national private equity fund.
- A food and beverage services portfolio company of a private equity fund in its sale to a large strategic purchaser.
- A heavy materials manufacturer in its distressed asset sale to a large strategic purchaser.
- The majority investors of an industrial tools manufacturer in their sale to a private equity fund alongside the company’s ESOP.
- The sole shareholder of a financial advisory firm in their exit sale to a larger financial services firm.
- A family-owned marketing firm in its add-on acquisition of a complimentary marketing firm.
- A portfolio company of a private equity fund in connection with its takeout of minority investors.
- A distressed asset management fund in its purchase of a financial services firm.
- An emerging medical technology company in connection with negotiating its co-working and collaborative research agreements.
Speeches and Publications
Brett’s publications and speaking engagements include the following:
- “Best Practices for Managing Cyber Risks in the Contracting Process” – Cybersecurity Summit 2020, Minneapolis, MN
- Higher Education Institutions Must Be Prepared: “Enhanced” Cybersecurity Audits are Coming – Taft’s Privacy and Data Security (PDS) Blog, April 2020
- No Longer “Nice to Have”: Privacy and Security is the Law – Cybersecurity Summit 2019, Minneapolis, MN