Ann is an agent of change in the legal profession. As chief strategy officer, Ann guides the firm in determining and articulating its vision, identifying market opportunities, and executing innovative strategies to influence enterprise-wide cultural and operational shifts.
Before Taft's combination with Briggs and Morgan, Ann was Briggs’ chief operating officer and a member of the firm's senior leadership team. During her tenure at Briggs, Ann led the firm through its merger decision, a major remodel process, and implementation of innovative processes including client development coaching, legal transactional operations, and eDiscovery.
Prior to joining Briggs, Ann was a leader in the operations team at Faegre Baker Daniels. As chief talent officer, Ann collaborated with the firm's management board and executive committee to implement strategies for retention, development, and feedback for the firm's 750+ lawyers, consultants, and professionals, and partnered with other administrative department leaders in key areas of business operations. She played a key role in the 2012 combination of Faegre & Benson LLP and Baker & Daniels LLP.
Ann's experience also includes previous roles as director of legal personnel at Faegre & Benson, LLP and as part of the human resources team at Stinson Leonard Street. Ann began her career in law firm administration at Chapman and Cutler in Chicago.
Ann is a frequent author and presenter on the topics of legal operations, change in the legal profession and leadership.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law
Speeches and Publications
- The Law Firm Operations Team: Collaborative Agent of Change in a Changing Profession, Mitchell Hamline Law Review, 2018. (Co-authored with James Keuning)
- The Evolving Practice of Law: Competency Development in Law Firm Combinations, University of St. Thomas Law School Journal, 2013.
- Motivating Lawyers to Move from Activity to Impact, ABA LPM Webzine, May, 2013. (Co-authored with Kristine McKinney, Director of Diversity and Inclusion at FaegreBD)
- Professional Development for the Senior Associate, Law Firm Partnership and Benefits, Volume 15, Number 4, June 2009.
- Associate Personnel Issues: Is Departure the Only Option? NALP Bulletin, 12 (May 1999), 6-7.
Presentations and Coaching
- Women Leaders Panel, ALAMN, November 2019
- A Long December-Lawyer and the Wellness Imperative, Thomson Reuters COO/CFO Roundtable, October 2019
- Self-Compassion: Practicing and Teaching it In a Changing Legal Market, NALP Annual Conference, April 2019
- Some Assembly Required: Cultural and Organizational Recalibration Through Mergers, Marketing Partners Forum, January 2019
- Twin Cities, Diversity in Practice, Membership Meeting, November 2018
- Women in Leadership – Charting Your Own Path to Success in a Changing Legal Landscape, MSBA 2018 Business Law Institute, May 2018
- Law Firm Leadership Series, Hennepin County Bar Association, May 2015, 2017 and 2019
- Act on ACT: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in Counseling, April 2018
- Many Stars Make a Constellation: Best Practices in Staff Management, NALP Annual Conference 2015
- Law Firm Operations: The Change Agent Behind the Scenes in Today’s Law Firm, NALP and LMA Annual Conferences 2015
- Leadership Coach, NALP, Annual Conferences 2014-2019
- Leading Law Firms Through Change, NALP, Annual Conference
- Ch, Ch, Ch, Changes: Navigating Leadership Changes, NALP, Professional Development Institute, December 2012
- Getting to Yes—Motivating Lawyers to Actually Change Their Behavior, Lex Mundi Annual Marketing Conference, November 2012
- Retaining Your Legal Staff…In Times of Great Change, General Counsel Forum, September 2012
- Business Skills, Lawyering Skills, Soft Skills: Call Them What You Want, But Lawyers Need Them, NALP, Professional Development Institute, December 2011
- Future of Lawyering Roundtable, NALP, June 2011
- Ethics are Everywhere, NALP National Conference, April 2011
- Tools for Advancing Diversity and Inclusion on Legal Teams, Center for Legal Inclusiveness, March 2011
- SheSaidSeminars, Minnesota Women Lawyers, March 2010
- Association of Legal Administrators
Large Law Firm Representative
- The Guthrie Theater
- Illusion Theater