The Cincinnati, Columbus, and Dayton offices of Taft are seeking an additional member for our professional development and recruiting team.
Join a modern law firm in advising and supporting associates, along with practice group leaders, attorneys and professional staff in delivering exceptional legal services to our clients. This role is intended for a self-starting individual with outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills. The person hired in this role will work closely with associates and Taft leadership, practice group chairs, partners, Professional Development, Strategy, Recruiting, Business Development, IT, and Operations. This position will be critical in advising associates and integrating attorneys with their respective offices, practice groups and client teams, collaborating with Taft’s various support and operations specialists to meet the needs of the practice groups and clients, and communicating regularly with attorneys regarding office and departmental needs and the progress of ongoing initiatives. The individual in this role will advise on matters related to associate evaluations, staffing assignments, recruitment, talent management, firm citizenship, integration, and cross-collaboration.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Multi-faceted role that will support associates and associate-related strategies, goals, and objectives within assigned offices and/or practice groups.
- Guide and mentor associates with integration into the firm and throughout their various career stages.
- Assist with associate staffing, mentorship, feedback and retention.
- Implement and execute integration and development plans for associates.
- Monitor client, partner, and matter expectations; track workloads; and be mindful of associates’ strengths and goals.
- Maintain current knowledge of the firm’s policies and procedures with respect to attorney recruitment, orientation, work assignments, evaluations, mentor programs, and training and development with the objective to continuously obtain feedback on and evaluate these systems.
- Survey attorneys in practice groups and in firm management to identify professional development issues and to identify areas for training and provide information and feedback to the Director of Attorney Learning and Development.
- Develop strong relationships with associates as well as practice group leaders, partners and firm leadership to garner buy-in and ensure internal and external collaboration.
- Support practice group chairs and partners to strategically match associates to work opportunities with an eye toward achieving an equitable distribution of assignments consistent with client needs, associate goals, and the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Work with firm leadership, Recruiting, Strategy and the Director of Attorney Learning and Development to design and implement strategies and approaches for associate development that meet practice group and client needs.
- Facilitate and foster effective communication within the practice groups and administrative teams.
- Support firm-wide initiatives and programs designed to enhance associate development and retention.
- Work with Strategy Office, Project Management, IT, Business Development, Recruiting, Professional Development, General Counsel, Operations, HR, and other department teams as collaboration opportunities and needs arise.
- Frequent travel to designated offices.
- Participate in on-campus interviews and manage the Cincinnati summer program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Experience working in a professional services, legal or law firm setting.
- Ability to assess and administer feedback with actionable direction and guidance.
- Strong communication and organization skills with superior interpersonal skills.
- Ability to quickly build trust and confidence and establish strong professional relationships.
- Superior judgment and ability to problem solve.
- Skilled in recognizing and attuning to the morale and culture among associates, practice groups, offices and of the firm as a whole.
- Collaborative mindset and ability to connect people internally.
- Ability to take initiative and build new processes and approaches.
- Client service mindset.
- Strong to advanced technology skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Analytical thinking skills, with the ability to adapt to changing demands and work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Enthusiastic professional who displays a high level of maturity, a confidential nature, and a proactive work ethic.
- Degree: Juris Doctor.
- Work Experience: 2 or more years as a practicing lawyer in a law firm setting and 2 or more years of career development experience.
- Prior experience in an operations, talent management, and/or project management role.
- Prior law firm experience; former practicing attorney.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Lisa Watson, email@example.com.
Taft is a State of Minnesota and City of St. Paul Affirmative Action Employer as required in those jurisdictions. Taft is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The information in this posting presents general duties, tasks, and responsibilities but is not intended to be an exhaustive listing. Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP participates in E-VERIFY.