Taft is seeking a paralegal to serve our Business team in Taft's Chicago office.
We are seeking a paralegal with 5+ years of legal experience to support the Business team in our Chicago office. All Taft employees operate under a "Client First" philosophy—in all things, we seek to provide exceptional services to our clients.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Follow the ethical requirements set forth by the Rules of Professional Conduct of the applicable jurisdiction.
- Clearly communicate in a concise (oral and written), professional manner.
- Proactively provide support to attorneys as assigned.
- Draft routine legal documents and correspondence specific to the Business and Finance practice groups.
- Conduct factual legal research and analysis relevant to practice area using all available resources including print and electronic sources.
- At the direction of the assigning attorney, correspond with outside counsel, filing agents, and clients.
- Organize and maintain internal files and closing materials for assigned practice group.
- Prioritize work, monitor deadlines, and communicate the same to the assigned team.
- Timely enter, reviews, and correct time entries.
- Arrange for procurement of outside services such as statutory agent services, lien searches, state filings, securities filings, etc.
- Perform reviews of various legal documents.
- Assist with diligence matters for various deal work.
- Process invoices for client disbursements and firm expenses for payment.
- File various documents with appropriate governmental bodies, including states, FINRA, and the SEC.
- Act as liaison between attorneys and practice support teams.
- Manage DocuSign signature process and compile signature pages.
- Prepare closing binders/files for transactions.
- Assist in the formation of business entities, including corporations and limited liability companies.
- Draft and revise documents for filing with state and county offices.
- Draft and revise Articles of Incorporation/Formation.
- Prepare Simple Deeds and stock certificates.
- Draft loan and/or general transactional documents.
- Review Letters of Intent, contracts, Loan Commitments, and UCC's.
- Familiarity with Secretary of State websites, particularly for the states of Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.
- Prepare and maintain/update corporate minute books including ownership certificates and ledgers.
- Organize, participate, and assist in business transactions and prepare and update closing and other checklists.
- Update and maintain electronic data rooms.
- Run lien searches and litigation reports.
- 5+ years' paralegal experience; corporate legal department paralegal experience preferred.
- ABA approved paralegal degree/certificate, or equivalent combination of experience.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 2010 – Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Proficient in computerized legal research programs including WestLaw, Lexis/Nexis, PACER and proficiency with electronic data rooms and secure file transfer systems and programs.
- Proficient in case management software and/or specialty practice area software where applicable.
- Proficient in Adobe Acrobat and other PDF software such as Power PDF.
- Proficient in CARTA – ability to submit materials to CARTA, review CARTA files, and update capitalization tables.
- Adept at using DocuSign and creating multiple-choice forms.
- Proficient in iManage Desksite preferred. Must have experience in some large-scale document management systems. Previous experience in performing searches and finding documents for references preferred.
- Notary Public preferred.
Interested candidates should apply to Alycen Cummings, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Taft is a State of Minnesota and City of St. Paul Affirmative Action Employer as required in those jurisdictions. The information in this posting presents general duties, tasks, and responsibilities but is not intended to be an exhaustive listing.