Legal Assistant (Washington, D.C.)
At Taft, we work as one team, driven and committed to helping our clients succeed. A full-service law firm with more than 800 attorneys and 1,400 total on our team, we have the collaborative approach, advanced technological resources, and depth of services that make us a preeminent law firm in the Midwest.
Taft is seeking a Legal Assistant to support our team in Taft's Washington, DC office.
We are seeking a Legal Assistant with 3+ years of legal experience to support our team in our Washington, DC office. All Taft employees operate under a “Client First” philosophy — in all things, we seek to provide exceptional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides skilled, proactive administrative support to attorneys and others, on occasion as needed.
- Exhibits outstanding client service orientation in greeting guests, scheduling meetings, and conducting telephone conferences.
- Assists in managing client contacts, emails, and print documents as well as processing mail.
- Prepares and reviews documents, letters and memoranda according to Firm standards using word processing software and document management systems.
- Proactively monitors deadlines.
- Processes requests for payment and reimbursements.
- Enters attorney billable hours into the firm billing program.
- Creates, maintains and retires files in accordance with Taft’s Information Governance Policy.
- Transcribes documents.
- Responds to requests with a sense of urgency and effectively prioritizes work.
- Clearly communicates in a concise, professional manner.
- Displays strong attention to detail.
- 3+ years' of legal assistant experience.
- Proficient command of the English language and standard grammar rules.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills, sufficient to set and manage priorities; to manage and meet deadlines; and to self-start and assure that work is completed timely.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to demonstrate collaborative work habits and an ‘ownership mentality’ in understanding the work to be done and assuring that it is timely and accurately completed.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; good judgment and analytical and problem-solving skills.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Alycen Cummings, firstname.lastname@example.org.