We are seeking a legal assistant to support our team in Taft’s Minneapolis office.
We are seeking a legal assistant with 3+ years of experience to support our Intellectual Property practice group in our Minneapolis office. The IP legal assistant proactively provides administrative support to attorneys and paralegals in the Intellectual Property Practice Group. All Taft employees operate under a “Client First” philosophy — in all things, we seek to provide exceptional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Runs conflict checks, opens new client files, and drafts and transmits engagement letters.
- Creates, organizes, maintains, and closes / transfers files in accordance with prescribed internal policies.
- Proofreads patent and trademark prosecution documents, including applications, formal documents, and Patent Office communications.
- Works collaboratively with other IP team members to assure that work is completed and department deadlines are met.
- Processes and tracks requests for payments and reimbursements.
- Drafts reporting letters and emails to clients and foreign counsel.
- Works closely with attorney/paralegal team to develop, implement and maintain processes, procedures and policies for trademark and patent work flow.
- Processes daily incoming and outgoing correspondence, including with outside counsel, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, foreign patent offices, and clients.
- Reviews for accuracy invoices from foreign associates and vendors for intellectual property work, and processes those invoices for submission to Accounting.
- Drafts and proofreads correspondence, transmittal documents, and other documents necessary to the practice.
- Carefully monitors workflow of matters to ensure timely handling.
- Plans and arranges travel for attorneys.
- Maintains attorney registrations, bar memberships, licenses.
- Monitors and coordinates with attorneys to make sure all licensing requirements are met, including maintaining CLE credits.
- Provides administrative support in opposition, interference, infringement, and related proceedings as needed; calendars deadlines for oppositions and infringement cases.
- Maintains organized physical client files for original patent and trademark documents including certificates, formal documents, and specimens of use.
- Manages client contacts, electronic mail, and print and electronic documents.
- Conducts factual research for patent/trademark matters.
- Enters and reviews time for attorneys.
- Reviews and edits client pre-bills and final invoices for accuracy and completeness.
- High school diploma or equivalent; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3+ years’ related experience.
- Law office or educational experience in Intellectual Property administration, or demonstrated interest in and motivation to learn Intellectual Property.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills sufficient to set and manage priorities; to manage and meet deadlines; and to self-start and assure that work is completed timely.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 2016 Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; good judgment and analytical and problem-solving skills.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Alycen Cummings, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Taft is a State of Minnesota and City of St. Paul Affirmative Action Employer as required in those jurisdictions. The information in this posting presents general duties, tasks, and responsibilities but is not intended to be an exhaustive listing.