We are looking for an energetic, customer-service focused Director of Information Governance to join our team in any of Taft’s seven main offices.
We are seeking a Director of Information Governance to support our team. The Director of Information Governance will provide direction to lawyers and staff on all aspects of the firm’s Information Governance efforts including, but not limited to, the Records Management program, ethical and legal compliance requirements related to that information, the preservation or destruction of that information, and the confidentiality, privacy, and security of that information as well as the mobility of that information. All Taft employees operate under a “Client First” philosophy—in all things, we seek to provide exceptional services to our clients.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with key stakeholders in various departments, develop and maintain both short- and long-term strategic plans for the governance of the firm's information, including both client and firm business information, in all forms and formats.
- Working with key stakeholders in various departments, develop policies that govern both client and firm business information, including how the firm creates, uses, secures, maintains, stores, releases, acquires, preserves, retains, and disposes of information.
- Procedures and Programs
- Direct and oversee the design and implementation of processes and programs that support the firm's IG efforts, including the RM program, litigation holds related to the firm or to clients where the firm has responsive records, information-mobility related to incoming or departing lawyers and clients, confidentiality and privacy, and records retention and disposition.
- Ensure the firm's IG policies, processes and programs comply with applicable rules and laws regarding the management of both client and firm business information.
- Communicate information about the IG program at all levels of the firm, including lawyers, legal support staff, and firm administration. Provide regular updates and information about the IG program to firm management.
- Work with firm management and other administrative leaders to collect information necessary to build components of the IG program, and consult with various firm leaders and departments on IG issues. As needed, serve on related firm committees to provide IG perspective or ensure IG awareness.
- Direction and Management
- Assume firm-wide responsibility to direct and manage the Records Management team. Develop staff plans, and hire and develop functional team members. Oversee the work of the team, including IG-related procedure and program development and implementation.
- Along with IT leadership, jointly oversee primary content management systems including the firm's document management system, records management system, and other key content repositories.
- Work with administrative department leaders to ensure that all other functional information systems conform to defined IG standards.
- Define lifecycle requirements for the retention and disposition of information in all firm systems.
- Participate in requirements definition, vendor review, and system selection efforts to ensure new systems conform to IG standards.
- Third-Party Access to Information
- Working with the Chief Information Officer, define standards for the access of client or firm business information by third-parties, including processes to define scope of access and to review and/or approve contract language regarding information access.
- Continuous Improvement and Audit Programs
- Engage in the continuous improvement of IG policies, processes, and programs by actively seeking input from the firm’s leadership and other personnel and implementing processes to audit programs for compliance.
- Industry Awareness
- Stay current with leading industry practices and new developments in the area of IG and RM. Participates in continuing education, research, networking, and professional and industry organizations.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
- Excellent working knowledge of technology tools required for the position including iManage, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with developing long-range programs and creating achievable short- and long-term strategies and initiatives that drive the success of the long-range program.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading an organization through adopting and complying with an IG program.
- Strong experience in leading a team of staff to successfully drive IG programs and initiatives.
- Ability to develop the IG team to achieve operational and professional success.
- Excellent organizational and operational skills.
- Advanced written and oral communication skill.
- Ability to scale communications to all levels within the firm and translate complex issues into simple concepts.
- Ability to advocate the IG vision, strategies and initiatives to firm management.
- Strong experience in analyzing problems, collecting data, establishing facts and diagnosing solutions.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discernment and escalate problems appropriately.
- Ability to develop strong relationships at all levels of the firm and manage and mediate conflict as necessary.
- Ability to work effectively in teams, demonstrating strong collaboration and consulting skills.
- Demonstrated experience in developing programs that facilitate adoption of the IG program.
- Ability to balance competing priorities effectively and assess, adapt and reprioritize projects quickly when situations change.
- Possess strong subject matter knowledge in areas of direct and related responsibility, including RM, privacy, security, technology, systems, legal compliance, project management, research, and other ancillary areas.
- Adhere to and serve as a role model for the firm's Client Service Standards.
- Travel within the U. S. to other offices as required.
- Commitment to the office and firm.
- Commitment to professional growth and development.
- Bachelor s degree required, and advanced degree (J.D.) desirable.
- Professional certifications in various technical areas related to IG are strongly desired, although not required (CRM, CIP, IGP).
- Minimum of five years of experience in strategic leadership in a professional services organization that includes a progression of responsible business positions.
- Previous experience in a law firm, professional services, or consulting firm, leading various areas related to the management of information, such as RM, security, privacy, or legal compliance is required.
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to Alycen Cummings at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Taft is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The information in this posting presents general duties, tasks and responsibilities but is not intended to be an exhaustive listing.