Taft is seeking a Director of Attorney Learning and Development to be a part of our team in any of Taft's offices.
We are seeking a Director of Attorney Learning and Development with 10+ years of professional development experience to support our team in any of Taft’s offices: Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Indianapolis or Minneapolis. All Taft employees operate under a “Client First” philosophy — in all things, we seek to provide exceptional services to our clients.
- Identify and address attorney training and development needs in partnership with leaders across the firm.
- Develop and implement associate programming to meet professional, business, and client service goals, including substantive, practice-specific training.
- Develop an organized approach and cadence for the delivery of formalized associate development programs, including practice skills, firm citizenship, mentoring programs, innovative concepts, and client development learning.
- Direct the firm’s CLE function, including oversight over all CLE-related matters related to our attorneys, clients, CLE coordinators, vendors, and others. Oversee the compliance processes for each jurisdiction, spearheading audits of internal CLE databases and procedures, developing new systems for tracking CLE changes, and drafting CLE bulletins and other materials.
- With practice group leaders, our general counsel, and office and administrative department management, assess, develop, and implement management training programs for all attorneys on topics such as conflicts, billing best practices, communications, cyber-security, eDiscovery, and human resources, among others.
- Collaborate with Recruiting, practice group chairs and other firm leaders to implement and advance various initiatives related to onboarding and integration, retention and engagement, and diversity and inclusion, among others.
- Work with practice group chairs and firm leadership on various aspects of the associate performance and review process.
- Facilitate and lead focus groups and information gathering meetings to assess needs for training and development.
- Develop and manage budgets for firm-wide learning and development.
- Lead the design and implementation of transactional and litigation skills programs, including negotiations workshops, deposition training programs, trial advocacy programs, and contract drafting workshops.
- Select and/or develop useful training aids, handbooks, demonstration models, multimedia visual aids, and web-based training.
- Develop and manage relationships with external subject matter experts, consultants, and speakers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Juris Doctor Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience developing and leading law firm associate training and development programs.
- Excellent understanding of and experience with law firm career pathing and attorney skillset requirements.
- Experience working in a professional services, legal or law firm setting.
- General understanding of the various CLE processes and requirements and experience with one or more specific jurisdictions.
- Strong communication and organization skills with superior interpersonal skills.
- Ability to quickly build trust and confidence and establish strong professional relationships.
- Collaborative mindset and ability to connect people internally.
- Ability to take initiative and build new processes and approaches.
- Client service mindset.
- Strong to advanced technology skills.
- Strong project management skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Analytical thinking skills, with the ability to adapt to changing demands and work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Enthusiastic professional who displays a high level of judgment, a confidential nature, and a proactive work ethic.
- Ability to travel to other offices on occasion.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Lisa Watson, email@example.com
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The information in this posting presents general duties, tasks and responsibilities and is not intended to be an exhaustive listing.