The Construction Law Practice Area attorneys advise clients on every aspect of both public and private construction, including contract drafting and negotiation, compliance with municipal, state, and federal regulations, financing, insurance, bonds, labor and employment issues including union matters and OSHA compliance, and all forms of dispute resolution.READ MORE
The attorneys in the Construction Law Practice provide a comprehensive range of services representing all facets of the construction process. They have extensive experience with the legal and practical aspects of planning for construction, with the labor and employment issues that inevitably arise, and in dealing with the effective resolution of construction disputes.
Many of our construction law practitioners are also members of our Real Property Practice. Together, they provide many years of experience in and great knowledge of every phase of project development and construction.
Planning for Construction Attorneys in the Construction Law Practice regularly provide legal counsel and services on the vital elements involved in getting both public and private construction projects off the ground, including:
- Contract drafting and negotiations, including detailed revisions to current AIA and AGC form agreements
- Competitive bidding and bid protests
- Zoning and building code compliance
- Environmental liabilities
- Tax liabilities
- Surety bonds Labor and Employment Issues.
A number of the attorneys in the firm's nationally recognized Labor and Employment department have considerable experience with employment issues that are unique to construction. These attorneys regularly provide legal counsel relating to such issues as:
- Compliance with labor regulations (including OSHA, ERISA, prevailing wage issues, WARN Act, and Americans with Disabilities Act issues)
- Strikes and picketing
- NLRB proceedings
- Negotiations with unions
- Workers' Compensation Dispute Resolution.
Attorneys in the Construction Law Practice Area seek to prevent disputes from degenerating into costly legal confrontations. Nonetheless, when amicable resolution is not possible, our attorneys have extensive experience litigating construction disputes in state and federal courts, before administrative bodies and in arbitration and mediation. A general sampling of matters they have handled includes:
- Defective construction/design
- Claims for extras
- Delay claims
- Claims against insurance companies and sureties
- Bid protests
- Mechanic's liens
Significant Projects and Clients
Our attorneys have provided legal services in connection with some of the largest construction projects in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana, including some projects that exceeded $100 million.
Those projects include:
- Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati
- University of Cincinnati Main Street project
- Aronoff Center in downtown Cincinnati
- Newport Aquarium in Northern Kentucky
- Argosy Casino complex in southeast Indiana
- Peter B. Lewis Campus for the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University
- National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati
- University of Louisville Medical Center
- Cincinnati Childrens' Hospital Medical Center
- Numerous developments for national retailers and developers such as CVS, U.S. Home, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Wal-Mart.