John W. Bentine
JOHN W. BENTINE brings over thirty years of experience representing clients in all aspects of electric, natural gas, communications and water/wastewater industries and related litigation. On behalf of clients, he routinely appears before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, the Ohio Power Siting Board and various federal and other states’ regulatory commissions, as well as Ohio and federal courts, including numerous successful cases before the Ohio Supreme Court.
As part of his practice, Mr. Bentine has pioneered the creation of unique joint ventures of local governments to jointly finance, construct, own, and operate electric, water and wastewater facilities. He continues to serve as General Counsel to American Municipal Power, Inc., a nonprofit, electric wholesale and technical service provider with over 125-member political subdivisions in seven states, including the operation, construction and financing of numerous coal, natural gas, diesel and hydroelectric generation facilities, as well as electric power purchase and sale contracts, and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission proceedings.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Bentine served as the Managing Partner of Chester Willcox & Saxbe, LLP for twelve years, prior to its merger with Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP. Mr. Bentine continues to help direct the growth of the firm and ensure the consistent delivery of high quality legal service. Mr Bentine was named one of Columbus law firms' top managing partners by Columbus CEO Magazine in its 2005 Best CEO’s issue. He was also selected for inclusion in 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers.
- Worked with client to obtain and defend on appeal air, wastewater and residual waste landfill permits for coal fired power plant in Southeast Ohio
- Represented AMP in purchase and commissioning 700MW natural gas combined cycle facility located in Fremont, Ohio
- Represent various clients in regulatory matters before state and federal regulatory commissions
- Pioneered unique joint ventures of local governments to jointly finance, construct, own and operate electric, water and wastewater facilities
- Has over 30 years experience before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, Ohio Power Siting Board and various federal and other states’ regulatory commissions, as well as Ohio and federal courts, including numerous successful cases before the Ohio Supreme Court
- Served as lead counsel in hundreds of regulatory commission and court proceedings involving billions of dollars
- Represents numerous public and private clients in many aspects of energy, communications, and water/wastewater related matters, including facilities purchase, financing, construction and operation, as well as long term purchase, sale contracts and related litigation
- Issuer’s Counsel for client bond issues and other financings totaling billions of dollars
Speeches and Publications
- A frequent lecturer and panel member in continuing legal education and other seminars
- Numerous appearances as a witness before various committees of the Ohio and Pennsylvania Legislatures regarding utility matters
Other Professional Experience
- Served on the technical staff of the PUCO (1973 – 1975)
- Assistant Attorney General and counsel to the PUCO (1975 – 1978)
- Assistant City Attorney and Senior Assistant City Attorney for the City of Columbus, Ohio (1978-1981)
- Served as Chairman of Executive Committee/Managing Partner of Firm (1997– 2008)