Elizabeth M. Stanton
ELIZABETH M. “BETTY” STANTON’s practice is focused primarily on representing clients in all aspects of employment and labor law including defense of employers against claims of discrimination or violation of other local, state and federal employment laws. She regularly advises employers regarding all aspects of managing employees, including legal planning and policy analysis and formulation, and preparation of employee handbooks. Betty advises public and private colleges and universities with regard to higher education matters including employment, labor, faculty, student, police jurisdiction and constitutional issues. Betty also advises and represents local governments and landowners in negotiations and litigation regarding annexation and annexation related matters including operations and services, zoning, planning, land use, taxation, tax abatement, finances, utility services and safety services. She has also litigated cases involving zoning regulations. Betty has the distinction of being Board Certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as a specialist in the practice of labor and employment law. She has also been recognized by her peers for excellence in labor and employment law and land use and zoning law in Best Lawyers in America. Betty was named as one of the “Top 25 Columbus Women Lawyers” by Ohio Super Lawyers in 2010, 2011, and 2012.
Thirty years experience advising and representing clients in the areas of employment, labor, college and university, and local government law, including the following:
Advised and represented clients in the public and private sector with regard to employment and labor matters, including:
- Defense of employers in many forums, including state and federal trial and appellate courts and administrative agencies.
- Representation in mediations, assisting clients to resolve cases in a beneficial and cost effective manner.
- Advice to employers regarding all aspects of managing employees.
- Advice to Executives regarding Executive Employment Agreements and Severance Agreements.
- Legal planning and policy analysis and formulation, including preparation of employee handbooks.
- Conducting of workplace investigations.
- Preparation of agreements, including Employment Agreements, Confidentiality and Non-Compete Agreements, Compensation Agreements, and Severance Agreements.
Advised and represented Public and Private Colleges and Universities with regard to higher education matters, including:
- Advice with regard to employment, labor, faculty, student, police jurisdiction, and constitutional issues.
- Defense of colleges and universities regarding these issues before administrative agencies and state and federal trial and appellate courts.
Advised and represented local governments and landowners, including:
- Negotiations and litigation including hearings before Boards of County Commissioners, and appeal and injunction actions before Courts of Common Pleas, Courts of Appeal, and the Ohio Supreme Court in annexation and annexation related matters such as operations and services of cities, townships, and counties, zoning, planning, land use, taxation, tax abatement, finances, utility services, and safety services.
- Advice related to formation of Joint Economic Development District and Annexation Agreements.
- Representation of organization of builders and large residential builders in major litigation challenging the constitutionality of local government ordinances relating to development
- Representation of major outdoor advertising company and others with regard to billboard regulation.
Achievements and Awards
- AV Peer Review (Preeminent) Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Board certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as a specialist in the practice of labor and employment law
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law & Land Use and Zoning Law since 2005
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor (2004 – 2013)
- Named in “Top 25 Columbus Women Lawyers” by Ohio Super Lawyers (2010, 2011, 2012)
Professional Memberships and Community Service
- Columbus Bar Association, former Chair of Labor and Employment Law Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association, former Vice-Chair of task force on attorney advertising and marketing; former Chair of the State and Local Government Committee; Education and Construction Law Committee
- American Bar Association
- Ohio Management Lawyers Association
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association, former Board Member
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County, former Board Member and past Treasurer
- Served as a member of the Ohio Supreme Court/Ohio State Bar Association Joint Task Force on Gender Fairness (1991 – 1993)
- Ohio Mock Trial Competition, Judge
- Volunteer Mediator - Federal Court
|News Releases | In the News | Upcoming Events|
|View All | Top »|
|In the News|
|View All | Top »|
|View All | Top »|